|Image by Darwin Laganzon from Pixabay|
With the popularity of cryptocurrencies, crypto-jacking threat is increasing, In this threat cybercriminals unauthorisedly use computing power to mine cryptocurrencies while most of us are completely unaware of this. To know more about crypto-jacking and ways to detect and prevent it, read this article.
Basic Definition Of Cryptocurrency Mining
The cryptocurrency mining also known as crypto coin mining, this process includes various types of cryptocurrency transactions and proof of mining work to the blockchain ledger. Whenever a crypto-coin transaction is made, a crypto miner is liable for the authenticity of information and updating the blockchain with the transaction. Crypto miners solve complex algorithms with powerful computer power harnessed from less powerful computers and deliver the processing power to create a particular block of content and algorithmic outputs that make a new blockchain transaction, Once they are verified, the miner is rewarded.
What is Crypto-jacking?
If Crypto mining is done illegally without authorization, it becomes crypto-jacking. Hackers use CPU power from computers, tablets, mobile phones, connected home devices, or servers without the user's authorization to solve the algorithms and bring the crypto coins to light.
There are a few ways crypto-jacking can occur:-
- Through phishing tactics
- Sending a malicious crypto-mining code through email on the victim's computer.
How to detect crypto-jacking?
- Monitor Websites:- Regularly monitor your websites for changes to web pages or any files on the web server because cybercriminals are looking for websites where they can embed crypto-mining code.
- Decrease In Performance:- Decrease in performance in your computing devices including desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices.
- Overheating:- The resource-intensive process of crypto-jacking can cause computing devices to overheat.
- Check CPU Usage:- Increase in CPU usage when you surf a website with little or no media content, it’s a sign that crypto mining scripts may be running in the background.
- Monitor your device performance and CPU activity.
- Install anti-crypto mining extensions.
- Use Ad-Blockers:- Web ads are common places for crypto-jacking scripts, using an ad-blocker can help you to detect and block malicious crypto-mining code.
- Cybercriminals can send you fraudulent emails, text messages, pop-ups, online advertisements. Don't click on it, Be cautious with this.
- Antivirus:- Using an antivirus program is like adding an extra layer of security to our system because it detects a Virus, Backdoor, Malware, Trojan and helps us to remove them from our system. Make sure you should always update your antivirus to the latest version.
- Teach your employees about crypto-jacking and phishing techniques.